Followers

Monday, October 31, 2016

I am self reliant

self reliance notes
To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men

Do not think the youth has no force, because he cannot speak to you and me. Hark! in the next room his voice is sufficiently clear and emphatic.

You must court him: he does not court you. But the man is, as it were, clapped into jail by his consciousness.

He would utter opinions on all passing affairs, which being seen to be not private, but necessary, would sink like darts into the ear of men, and put them in fear.

Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of every one of its members.

I am ashamed to think how easily we capitulate to badges and names, to large societies and dead institutions.

doctrine-

philanthropist

succumb

I wish it to be sound and sweet, and not to need diet and bleeding. I ask primary evidence that you are a man, and refuse this appeal from the man to his actions.

I cannot consent to pay for a privilege where I have intrinsic right. Few and mean as my gifts may be, I actually am, and do not need for my own assurance or the assurance of my fellows any secondary testimony.

ostentation

Their every truth is not quite true

chagrins

The other terror that scares us from self-trust is our consistency

Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again

To be great is to be misunderstood.

Honor is venerable to us because it is no ephemeris

No comments:

Post a Comment